All About That Base: Suri
Hey Hue Loco family! We have covered everything from our fingering weight up to our bulkiest bases and now it’s time to take a look at our lace weight offerings! This week we are looking at our soft & fluffy, Suri!
Here are the fundamentals:
- Blend: 74% Baby Suri Alpaca, 26% Silk
- Weight: Lace
- Structure: 1 ply
- Yardage: 328 yards per 50 gram skein
- Recommended Needle Size: US 000-1, 33-40 stitches per 4"
- Recommended Hook Size: B, 32-42 stitches per 4”
- Care Instructions: Hand wash cold, dry flat
- Available In: 50g skeins
Suri is the soft, matte sibling of the more well known Mohair! With its soft brushed alpaca fiber around a lustrous silk core, Suri is the perfect supporting act held with another yarn to add dimension and texture or used solo with a wide range of needle sizes to create a light, airy fabric. Our Suri has a wonderful watercolor-like effect when dyed so speckles and pours become more fluid and painterly on this base.
This cozy base will provide any project with a luxurious halo similar to that of Mohair but with the slightly softer hand that alpaca is known for, making it the perfect option for those with sensitive skin!
Suri is available year-round on all of our speckled and semisolid colorways, so the options are always plentiful! It is also available in our preorder collections and as part of our monthly shop updates!
If you need some ideas for projects those Suri skeins, we have assembled just a few here, but don’t forget to check out our Ravelry Bundles page for even more options!
1) Blackberry Kerchief (free) by Churchmouse Yarns and Teas, photo courtesy of the designer
2) 125-3 Black swan (free) by DROPS design, photo courtesy of Ravelry user Mariju
3) Phantom Fuzz by Park Williams, photo courtesy of Ravelry user kittenpurls
4) Vintage Wrap & Scarf by Churchmouse Yarns and Teas , photo courtesy of the designer
- Suri is a wonderful alternative to mohair for those who find mohair itchy to their skin!
- Darker colors tend to read lighter on this base, so make sure you love your chosen colorway just as much on Suri!
- Suri has a matte finish as opposed to its counterpart Mohair
See you next time for our last installment of All About That Base where we will be talking about the cloud-like Mohair!