All About That Base: Single Sock
It’s Tuesday and you know what that means, another installment of All About That Base! This week we are taking a closer look at Single Sock, so let’s do it!
Single Sock fundamentals:
- Blend: 100% Superwash Merino Wool
- Weight: Fingering or Sock
- Structure: Single ply, high twist
- Yardage: 400 yards per 100 gram skein
- Recommended Needle Size: US 1-3, 27-32 stitches per 4"
- Recommended Hook Size: B-E, 21-32 stitches per 4”
- Care Instructions: Hand wash cold, dry flat
- Available In: 100g skeins & select 100g, 50g, and 20g sets
Single Sock pictured in Bonafide and Jewel
Another member of our fingering weight dream team, Single Sock, is the only single-ply base currently available at Hue Loco, and it brings so much to the table! As our only 100% Merino, fingering weight base, Single Sock is light as a feather and an incredible canvas for saturated color and bold speckles. This base is an excellent choice for pretty much any project you can think of. It is super soft and wearable with great movement. However, due to Single Sock's single-ply construction and lack of added nylon, it may not have the desired durability for things like socks or other items that see regular wear-and-tear.
What makes Single Sock truly special is its texture. It has so much personality in-skein that translates into gorgeous, structured stitches. Working with this base makes for a smooth, meditative experience, and your creations will be gorgeous straight off the needles or hook. However, the real magic happens after blocking! Single Sock is all about the bloom and fills out beautifully after a wet block, making your stitches even more cohesive and giving a gentle halo effect.
Single Sock is always stocked in our in-stock semisolids and speckles. It is available in select mini, 50g, and full skein sets, and can also be pre-ordered in our collections.
We have picked out a few patterns that we think would be absolutely beautiful when made out of Single Sock. If you are looking for even more ideas, you can find a variety of great ones in our Ravelry Bundles!
1) Travel Mode 2.0 by Susanne Sommer, photo courtesy of the designer
2) Double Thick Hat (free) by Kareema Ali, photo courtesy of the designer
3) Intermission by Deanne Ramsay, photo courtesy of the designer
4) Rockaria by Pope Vergara, photo courtesy of the designer
- Since Single Sock is a single-ply yarn and does not contain nylon, it may be less durable than other fingering weight yarns like Merino Sock or Phyllis Sock. As a result, it is not recommended for items that experience a lot of wear and tear, such as socks or gloves.
- While many one-ply yarns tend to pill, the high twist nature of our Single Sock keeps those pesky pills to a minimum. This ensures that your creations stay looking clean and polished year after year.
Thank you for joining us, and we hope to see you next week when we discuss our Tweed Sock and Tweed DK bases!