All About That Base: Mohair
Hello yarn lovers! We did it! Today is all about our final base, the ever timeless Mohair!
Here are the fundamentals:
- Blend: 70% Kid Mohair, 30% Silk
- Weight: Lace
- Structure: 1 ply
- Yardage: 458 yards per 50 gram skein
- Recommended Needle Size: US 000-1, 33-40 stitches per 4"
- Recommended Hook Size: B, 32-42 stitches per 4”
- Care Instructions: Hand wash cold, dry flat
- Available In: 50g skeins
Mohair pictured in Cider and Caper
Mohair cannot be beat for luxury and luster! A shimmering silk core surrounded by kid mohair that seems to almost glow, this is the perfect fiber for adding just that little bit of decadence to any project. Much like our Suri base, dyes take differently on this base giving its colors a lovely watercolor-like effect!
This base is wildly versatile, it can be used on its own for a fabric that is light as a feather with the perfect drape or it can be held with another yarn in pretty much any project you can imagine to add some extra color and that ethereal halo-effect that Mohair has become known for.
Our Mohair is always available on our in-stock speckled and semisolid colorways, so there is always plenty to choose from. It is also available in our preorder collections and as part of our monthly full skein releases!
You can do pretty much anything with a strand of Mohair, but we have put together a few projects that celebrate all of Mohair's best qualities. If you would like a few more ideas for inspiration, check out our Ravelry Bundles page for more options!
1) Floof Moof (free) by Debbie Seton, photo courtesy of the designer
2) Wayworn by Melanie Berg, photo courtesy of the designer
3) The Little Scarf by Gavriella Treminio, photo courtesy of the designer
4) Dust Bunny (free) by Beata Jezek, photo courtesy of the designer
- Kid Mohair can be a bit “sticky” meaning those long fibers love lightly felting to those around it! It is nice and low maintenance but just know that if you wind a skein or need to frog your work with mohair in it, it might take just a bit more patience and care than usual!
Thank you so much for coming on this journey with us, we hope this series has provided you with everything you need to know about Hue Loco yarn and given you the confidence to go forth and create!